>> I think this qualifies as a reportable bug...
>
>Not unless the documented behavior is otherwise... this behavior
>is the normal, expected behavior of bourne-derivative shells.

Interesting; I can't find such behavior specified
in the man page for BASH, so I wonder where would
such "documented" behavior actually be documented?

And why do you say that it's the "normal, expected"
behavior?  Or do you mean that it's what YOU regard
as normal and what YOU expect?  I'm not exactly a
newbie but I confess that I didn't expect this (though
in retrospect I guess I can see some logic in it) and
I don't know (authoritatively) what's "normal"...