I just created a new account on a redhat 8 box.  When I try to change the passwd I get
the following error:
#passwd derek
Changing password for user derek.
New password:
Retype new password:
passwd: User not known to the underlying authentication module

This happens if I try to change any of the passwords for any accounts.  I checked
/var/log/messages and came up with the following for the login:
redhat8 sshd(pam_unix)[32041]: authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0
tty=NODEVssh ruser= rhost=10.1.40.24  user=derek

I found it interesting that uid=0 because that is not the uid for this account.  I am
assuming it is a pam issue, but I know very little about that.  Any help would be
appreciated.
--
Derek Doucette
http://derek.homeunix.org