I ran into an interesting (more like terrifying) problem with a Maxtor 80
gig D740X-6L drive. The drive has been in service for perhaps 9 months.
Within the last couple of weeks I noticed that the system, running Win2k
Pro, was taking longer to boot. I reviewed the event log and found that at
the start of each day of operation, going back over a week or so, the system
was logging bad block disk errors. Finally after the system failed to boot
twice in a row, I put another Maxtor drive in the system as a slave and
mirrored the data to the new disk. The new disk appears to be working
trouble free.

Here's the interesting part: I called Maxtor this morning and was told by
the tech who answered my call that the disk needed a low-level format. I
mentioned to him that the disk's Smart monitoring status was Ok. He said
that I was seeing file system corruption and that the regular Windows scan
disk utility wouldn't help with bad block replacement.

What are other people's experiences with these drives? The drive does not
overheat AFAIK, but I do notice that the problem is more pronounced at
system startup then after the system has been running for a while.

-Alex