>> How can I tell what CPU the kernel was compiled for?
>
>  I believe 'uname -m' will indicate what CPU the currently running kernel
>was compiled for.

I think the uname app just invokes the uname syscall whose
contract is not necessarily to report the target build but
the current (and perhaps too general) architecture type.

If you have a config file handy for the kernel in
question this (somewhat clunky) approach will provide
the authoritative answer:

   for tag in CONFIG_M386 CONFIG_M486 CONFIG_M586          \
              CONFIG_M586MMX CONFIG_M586TSC CONFIG_M686    \
              CONFIG_MCRUSOE CONFIG_MCYRIXIII CONFIG_MELAN \
              CONFIG_MK6 CONFIG_MK7 CONFIG_MPENTIUM4       \
              CONFIG_MPENTIUMIII CONFIG_MWINCHIP2          \
              CONFIG_MWINCHIP3D CONFIG_MWINCHIPC6
   do
       fgrep $tag yourConfigFile
   done

...after which you can interpret the results using this
table of (largely obvious) mappings:

   CONFIG_M386        386
   CONFIG_M486        486
   CONFIG_M586        586/K5/5x86/6x86/6x86MX
   CONFIG_M586MMX     Pentium-MMX
   CONFIG_M586TSC     Pentium-Classic
   CONFIG_M686        Pentium-Pro/Celeron/Pentium-II
   CONFIG_MCRUSOE     Crusoe
   CONFIG_MCYRIXIII   CyrixIII/C3
   CONFIG_MELAN       Elan
   CONFIG_MK6         K6/K6-II/K6-III
   CONFIG_MK7         Athlon/Duron/K7
   CONFIG_MPENTIUM4   Pentium-4
   CONFIG_MPENTIUMIII Pentium-III/Celeron(Coppermine)
   CONFIG_MWINCHIP2   Winchip-2
   CONFIG_MWINCHIP3D  Winchip-2A/Winchip-3
   CONFIG_MWINCHIPC6  Winchip-C6