I'm taking a look at various groupware packages and Exchange-like replacements. After looking at various packages, I'm seeing just what I expected: some web-based systems are about ready for prime-time, but there isn't a huge variety that are highly polished, and ready to drop on an unsuspecting Windows user (read: with or without an Outlook client).

IMHO, the best I've turned up so far are PHPGroupware and PHPProjekt, with Sherpath (you can reference all on Freshmeat.net) looking interesting also. All three are modular web-based systems. PHPGroupware and PHPProjekt are to the level to where now third-parties are writing modules to their APIs, either to bring in new functionality or to replace existing modules with modules incorporating new functions and features.

Another interesting possibility is Samsung's Contact. That package seems sane for an Exchange replacement, but the ~$1500 server fee, client licenses and typical commercial licensing makes it something I'd like to avoid, if possible.

My question is, what packages (preferably free, but other licenses might work) are there out there which would work with a user to provide e-mail and group scheduling, along with other groupware-type tasks? Anything out there that I should be sure to look at?

--
 Regards, | What's "free" software? - Free speech? Free beer?