"cp" under Linux has become somewhat powerful; the following worked fine
for me:

cp -a a c && rm -rf a

Copy, recursively and with permissions, etc., retained, dir "a" into c;
then, if the copy worked, blow away a.  Note that it will overwrite your
stuff, though I think if you have "noclobber" set, it'll prompt, though my
recollection's somewhat hazy.

-Ken