In a message dated: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:10:45 EDT
"Roger H. Goun" said:

>What's the best way to retrieve files from the hard drive of a dead
>laptop?
>
>I have a three-year old Sony VAIO Z505JS laptop that refuses to start.

Will it just not boot?  I highly recommend getting a copy of Knoppix
on CD and attempting to boot from that.  My wife's laptop died not
too long ago with a bad hard drive failure.  I was able to boot off
of CD with Knoppix, which correctly identified all the system
hardware, allowed me easily start the network stuff, mount the NTFS
file system, and rsync all the directories she needed to my server
upstairs, and make it available to her via Samba so she could at
least access it from her Windows system :)

Using a RH boot disk didn't work, because rsync/ssh weren't included
(7.3 IIRC, don't know about 8.0 or 9).

HTH,
--

Seeya,