In a message dated: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:45:08 EDT
Mark Komarinski said:

>Perhaps what I should say is:
>
>Given higher stability of today's OSs and networks, NIS is working
>pretty well.

In general, I agree, however, there are some inherent weakness with
NIS from security perspective which have not been addressed.

>Once LDAP authentication gets supported by more OSs, I think it
>will start to take over.

This I agree with.  I don't like LDAP, but I agree that eventually it
will take over.  I'm also not convinced that LDAP has addressed the
security concerns NIS, which are a centralized database to which
every client need to have constant contact with in order to complete
key/value resolutions.  I think in general, it's safer to rely on
what your local system has direct access to rather than depending
upon a remote facility which may easily be knocked off line or
compromised.
--

Seeya,
Paul