On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, at 11:20am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I had DSL when I lived in Santa Barbara a few years ago.  Though Verizon
> was not my ISP, they owned the residential lines in my area.  This meant
> that they provided the physical connection and my ISP provided the
> Internet service ...

  Yes.  In New England, Verizon will always be the one provisioning the
actual circuit (the pair of copper wires that goes from the CO to your
house) [1].

  When I say "existing line", I mean that the DSL signal is combined with
the signal of a regular POTS line at the CO, and then split again at the
subscriber end.

  When I say "dedicated circuit", I mean that the DSL company provisions a
dry pair from the telco, and they attach their equipment to it at the CO.
A "dry pair" is a circuit with no other service on it -- no phone number, no
dial tone, no electric current.

Footnotes
---------
[1] There are still a few local telcos in a couple isolated areas.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>