Tom Fogal wrote:
Last week I uncovered a RedHat box that had been rooted (fortunately it had only recently been installed and nothing important was on it.) Rather than me having to go through a hands-on intensive process of analyzing every other Linux system on the LAN are there tools that I can use to determine whether or not this SOB got into other systems?

Any pointers to where I can learn more about the different types of rootkits and how to counter or detect them are also welcome.

Thanks!
--

i seem to remember freebsd having a nightly cronjob script that would save
the md5sum of every file on the system to a file.. and then compare it with

anyway, that solution doesnt work well in your current situation. do you have
another box w/ the same updates, that you know is clean? you could compare md5's from that one...

HTH,

-tom

Something like this can be done by utilities like tripwire. The catch is that they need to have been setup *before* the breakin occurs. I'm trying to play catchup here with systems that are in an unknown state of security (or lack thereof.)

I also know how to detect this particular hack but it involves a lot of manual effort with copying known good utilities (like ls and lsof) and examining a number of different directories and files. Quite time consuming.

--

Dan Coutu
Managing Director