On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 08:52:16PM -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
> beyond what is required to store the opcode and its operands.  Whereas
> the second method allocates storage in the segment of memory
> associated with initialized data that hangs around, so that it can
> contain the constant.

Er, actually, /where/ the storage is allocated depends on the scope of
the definition of the variable, and quite possibly on the
implementation of the compiler.  It's also possible that an optimizing
compiler may recognize that this variable contains a known constant,
and optimize it out of existence.

I think I have that right now.  Hopefully people who've more
experience than I with such matters will point out where I've still
got it wrong.  :)

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/