On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, at 9:50am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> You're most of the way there, Ben.  Take the last step.  The fault
> lies with..   C.

  I know it is possible to design a C environment (compiler and runtime)
that supports bounds checking and other automatic error checking features.
I believe the language spec is designed to make that possible.  (I know the
C++ spec is.)  All such environments that I have heard of run dog slow, but
I suspect that is because they were retro-fitted onto existing, traditional
C environments rather then being built that way from the start.

  I'd argue that it would be a lot more practical to design a workable C
environment which protects against this kind of thing then it would be to
re-implement the world in another language.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>