On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 07:39, Jon maddog Hall wrote:
> O.K., here is the situation:
>
> Mixture of Windows, Unix and Linux systems, the person needs to do these
> things over the net, preferably with a graphical interface.
>
> Workload Monitoring

I presume you mean Workload Monitoring vis-a-vis system and not
application (example: Oracle, SAP, ...) I've used Big Brother in the
past with mixed results (it would go bezerk when things got out of
sync).

I'm now using gkrellm (no logging though), but its extensible and
provides better real-time display of the system (more useful when your
remote systems are being attacked). But gkrellm probably won't work for
Windows or Unixes without /proc.

> User Activity Monitoring
> Automated Monitoring of Log Files

I generally rely on logwatch for the above. Its all perl scripts, so
should work on most Unix-based systems with similar log file formats.
Probably won't work for Windows based servers without some work.

> Process Monitoring

If you're not thinking about sar, then I'm not sure what you mean by
this - unless you're talking application level (but even that will need
some clarification).

> ideally you could also do this:
>
> Application Resource Management

This seems to be highly dependent on the application. AFAIK, this
facility is usually provided by the application (Oracle, ...)

> Performance Management

Again, these utilities are usually provided by the application -
assuming you don't mean "Performance Measurment", of which there are
numerous utilities "out there".

> Availability Management

Assuming you mean something akin to cluster management, HPTC consoles,
..., then this is usually provided by the cluster software - I know
Veritas provides stuff for SunOS. And there are several libraries for
"Linux Clusters", but they don't appear to have evolved into GUI
utilities such Veritas' offering - yet.

> Directory and File Management

Errr - there's lots: Nautilus, Midnight Commander (or whatever), ...
Again, I'm assuming you mean something that's GUI based and something
that won't befuddle PHBs.

> Are there any packages out there, either freeware or proprietary that do
> much of these things?
>
> Don't spend a lot of time on this, it is an "exercise" that I am doing.

The reason I like email over voice communications is that you can
process interrupts while doing the communication.

--Bruce