Rob Lembree wrote:

Has anyone run Mandrake 9.2 yet?  Opinions, comparisons
to Red Hat 9?  Anyone want to do a talk on it perhaps?

I've played with one of the release candidates I got off bittorrent.

The version I used I presume is the download version as it has the option for package selection...

In an upgrade, it didn't keep XF86config-4 but replaced it with a default one. Not fun with a laptop that runs in an odd resolution...

When I logged out, it killed dm so I was dropped back to a command prompt... not a MAJOR issue for me, but for the average non-techie who might be using it this could be a problem as well as being a definite bug to fix.

Third, this may be an attribute to the testing version, but MandrakeUpdate definitely does NOT work out of the box. At all. It starts and runs fine with the CDs, but will not keep new update sources and won't even contact any. This is extremely annoying as at the time I REALLY needed an update of gaim to fix the issues it had with Yahoo.

Did they fix these issues with the actual release? I have no idea. I'll download the ISO's when I can and find out. If they did, then this might be a decent distro...

The MandrakeUpdate worries me as it's one of the better tools Mandrake includes... when it works.

Mandrake has announced a version called the "Discovery Edition" which is aimed at complete newbies (specifically desktop users) and does not include package selection in the install. There is a review of it at:

http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=268

Hope this helps,

Brian