Ben wrote:
> OpenSSH (the most popular SSH implementation on "modern" free
> Unixes) does not, to my knowledge, use a /etc/default/ssh file.
> See the manual pages, FILES sections, for ssh(1) and sshd(8)
> for details.

On my Debian box I'm running this:

   ssh 3.6.1p2-9 "Secure rlogin/rsh/rcp replacement (OpenSSH)"

...and if I say this:

   fgrep /etc/default /etc/init.d/ssh

...I see this:

   if test -f /etc/default/ssh; then
       . /etc/default/ssh

...which, when sourced by the script, allows override of
(some of) the parameters mentioned in the config files.

And FYI, whether or not it's documented, the use of
that /etc/default/ approach is not just an SSH-specific
hack; other entries in that directory on my systems are:

   cdrecord          devpts          dhcp
   fetchmail         initrd-tools.sh iptables
   libnss-db         lvm-common      nfs-common
   nfs-kernel-server ntp-servers     rcS
   rscsi             samba           snmpd