> The boot process does not even make it as far as to even try
> the floppy or CD.  It simply sits at the boot screen and hangs,
> no even allowing you to press F2 for BIOS Setup.  If I wipe the
> partitions clean then it works fine.

Maybe I should have been clearer - I meant that you
should restore the system to its Windows-bootable
state and then see if it would boot a Linux floppy
or CD.  I did already understand from your description
that the BIOS is wedging up very early in the boot
process as long as there is only a Linux partition
on the disk.

The other thing I was suggesting was to reload
Windows and then install Linux in those existing
Windows partitions without creating any new ones.
Then, last thing before rebooting out of the Linux
installation process, you'd run (say) LILO and be
sure that the partitions are still marked as being
Windows partitions instead of Linux partitions,
changing the ID bytes back, if necessary.