Can't help with OO but from my experience with Word,
comments !== changes.  This may affect some of the suggested
work-arounds.

Think in-band vs. out of band.

Changes are edits to the document content that modify it.
Change tracking allows you to see a before and after view to
tell what changed.  When you print, the content has changed
somehow, whether or not you print the pre-modification view.

Comments are like margin notes, they don't change the content
at all.  If you print supressing the comments, the document
content is unchanged.

So a work-around based on comparing before and after may not
work, unless there is a feature to allow comments (not
changes) that can be suppressed for output.

If such a feature does exist in OO but without the capability
Kevin requested to view such comments, it seems like it's only
half done.  Ergo I suspect it doesn't exist - if it does then
perhaps the feature Kevin desires does also, we just haven't
found it yet.

Incidentally, this is very germane to the recent discussion
comparing proprietary software to open-source.  This
particular functionality is significant in enterprise
environments.  If it is not present, or is half-baked, it is a
deficiency that is a competitive disadvantage for the
open-source package.  If the functionality exists but is
difficult to find, that learning curve problem (!ease-of-use)
is a competitive disadvantage.

-Bruce McCulley