On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 11:01:23AM -0500, Kenneth E. Lussier wrote:
> I have stayed out of this until now, as I don't really care all that
> much about the public or private status of the GNHLUG list. I actually
> thought that it was a closed list to keep RMS from posting rants about
> how it should be called GNHG/LUG ;-)
>
> However, I think that the posting of the whois information was not only
> unnecessary, but completely inappropriate to the discussion. It does,
> however, bring up a good point that is currently being debated: How
> public should the whois database be? Does anyone really need to know
> where Derek lives? Should it be common knowledge that Travis is in
> apartment 4T? And, more importantly, why was all of this information
> made to be public to begin with? Even the most simple minded can look up
> whois data and abuse it.  And anyone with malicious intent can take it
> further and use that information for harassment, or more nefarious
> things.
>
> So, mailing lists aside, just how much privacy are we *FORCED* to give
> up to participate in this whackey little thing that we called the
> internet? And who decides what amount of lost privacy is ok?

Well, This is TOTALLY uncalled for!

Ken is obviously trying to raise the level of discussion here to
something meaningful and even strategically far ranging in scope.

I, for one, refuse to put up with this kind of enlightened approach.

Mailing lists are for flaming, irrational rants, and above all personal
attacks!

Ken must stop this courteous and polite behavior immediately!

(- kidding AFAIK.)

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" is copyright 2003.