Well, in my efforts to add more functionality to a debian server that used a textual login by
adding windows packages I seem to have managed to wedge it good. :-(

I used apt-get to install gdm. It detected that I needed additional packages and pulled those
in too. Unfortunately now when the system boots the last thing it says is that it is starting up
the gdm (Gnome Display Manager). Then it wedges so bad it won't respond to pings.
The console is completely unresponsive.

I see that when rebooting I get a 5 second window to hit Enter and get a shell. But it
is a very lightweight shell with next to nothing for commands available. I have to use
echo just to get a directory listing! Can I at this point get the system to come up in single
user mode? There seems to be no lilo or grub on the thing.

I believe that I need to find a way to either disable the startup of gdm or else install more
packages so that it will actually work. Any clues are sincerely welcome!

Thanks a ton,

Dan