Cole Tuininga wrote:

I haven't used IRC in quite some time.  Anybody have recommendations for
IRC server software?  Their needs are fairly simple - they really just
need a single channel for the most part.  Requiring a password to
connect to the server would be a plus.

I set up IRCd not too long ago and it's really not too hard to do.

There's a decent FAQ at http://www.irc.org/tech_docs/ircnet/faq.html

If all you need is a basic IRC server for chatting, it's really simple. The complicated parts come in when you're putting together a network of servers.

Brian