These steps form the 'Gentoo' install procedure might help when using chroot to to such things. I believe running lilo without a /proc will cause it to at least whine...

--
| 0|___||.  Andrew Gaunt - Computing Development Environment
_| _| : : }  Lucent Intranet: http://mvcde.inse.lucent.com/~quantum
-(O)-==-o\  Internet: http://www.gaunt.org

mount -t proc proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash