Kevin D. Clark wrote:

> The only way to be sure about what process is initiating this ident
> request is to explicitly track down which process is initiating the
> request.
>
> So, during this 30 second window, type the following on the
> POP3 server:
>
>   lsof -i tcp:110

Of course xinetd is making connections on 110.

The interesting thing I found is this:
================
# lsof -r -i tcp:113
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
xinetd 8017 root 0u IPv4 1639491 TCP myhostname:40587->outside.fqdn.net:auth (SYN_SENT)
====================

...and
=====================
# lsof -r -i tcp:113 -i tcp:110 -c 0
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
xinetd 1231 root 13u IPv4 1822 TCP *:pop3 (LISTEN)
xinetd 10229 root 0u IPv4 1792765 TCP myhostname:40650->outside.fqdn.net:auth (SYN_SENT)
xinetd 10229 root 13u IPv4 1822 TCP *:pop3 (LISTEN)
xinetd 10229 root 16u IPv4 1792758 TCP myhostname:pop3->outside.fqdn.net:24225 (ESTABLISHED)

This tells me that xinetd is, indeed trying to connect to the outside world immediately before a POP3 connection.

Now the only possible setting I know of that might do this is (from /etc/xinetd.d/ipop3):
log_on_success += USERID
Could this be it? If so, how can I continue to log the userid without the auth request?

> I'm betting that it is your x?inetd process.

Good guess. Now to find out why it works on the LAN connection and not over the WAN port.....

Brian