If I were one of the entrenched players in the telecoms
space, or if I were a big-brother type, I think I'd be
angry about VoIP.  From a business angle, I'd see stuff
like VoIP as a threat to my legislated monopoly.  From a
big brother perspective I'd be unhappy about the enhanced
privacy as well as the potential for abuse (like CNI
spoofing) that were previously not so easily available.
In either case, I'd do my level best to prevent or at
least cripple the widespread availability of PBX- and
VoIP-enabled gear to the Great Unwashed...