I missed the start of this thread, I don't even really know what it's
doing here. But I had to add a few points.

the DVD has even MORE edits then the special edition version.

There are torrent files of the original pre SE versions that were made
from the laserdiscs. They include audio commentary, has chapters, a DVD
intro and menu, and are VERY good quality. They are also setup to mount
and burn with Nero.

I have downloaded and burnt these copies (to replace my very nice VHS
box set that I can no longer watch since I don't have a VCR anymore).

If you really want the original version on DVD I'm afraid that the only
way to get it is by this shady way.

Links to the torrents can be found on my livejournal

http://www.livejournal.com/users/sc00ter/114945.html