A few weeks ago a client was having problems with his Dell system and
specifically he had file system corruption (Windows XP Home) which required
a repair install of his OS. I noticed that the event logger logged a "disk
bad block" event about the time of the corruption of his file system and I
recommended he consider replacing the drive. I also noticed that he had 69
days left on his Dell warranty and suggested he call Dell to see if they
would give him a replacement drive (80 GB Seagate Barracuda ATA IV model).
Dell had the customer run the short diagnostic and when it passed they told
the customer they wouldn't replace the drive. He then bought a 160 GB Maxtor
drive which I mirrored against his old drive and the system has been running
fine since. He gave me the old drive and I had a chance recently to run the
Seagate diagnostics. Although it passed the short diagnostic it suggested
running the long thorough diagnostic. The drive failed the long diagnostic
finding 12 bad sectors at high LBA addresses. The diagnostic also said that
it could attempt to relocate/zero the bad sectors but it failed on all 12 of
the bad sectors it found previously.

This brings me to the question - is the drive really bad? I recall that
years ago all drives had bad blocks which could be mapped out by the OS.
Windows doesn't seem to do this but I'm wondering if Linux can still map out
the bad blocks? Any opinions? The Seagate site doesn't definitively state
that a drive with bad sectors is necessarily a bad drive...

-Alex