In a message dated: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:55:53 EDT
Bill McGonigle said:

>> (thought the windows side is lacking in this regard, since Outlook
>> offers no GSSAPI option for auth)
>
>Clearly every other mail client has it all wrong.  AUTH plain over TLS
>via SASL is sort of OK, except Outlook sometimes drops connections via
>TLS that it won't w/o TLS.  Oh, and its IMAP IDLE implementation is
>broken too.  Yes, that specification that Microsoft promulgated.

Yep, seen that.

>I've come to the conclusion that IMAP in Outlook is broken by design.
>There are just too many things wrong, too many specs not followed, and
>too much profit motive to not get it right ("Gee, I don't know... why
>don't you just use Exchange?").

Yeah, I came to that conclusion as well.  When my users complain I
simply respond with, "I'm sorry, Outlook is broken.  There's nothing I
can do to fix it.  You might want to try another mail client."

I usually get "Well, why don't we fix the server?", "What's a mail client",
or, "But the rest of the world uses Outlook, how can it be broken?".

>This is not to say that users are not broken as well.

Yep, lots of those!

Seeya,
Paul