I recently moved and switched to Verizon DSL from Comcast cable.

Verizon UPS'd me some filters & a DSL modem with an ethernet and a USB
connection.

The modem can do PPPoE and provides a DHCP address of 192.168.1.x to
your connection so you don't need to do it on your side.

I put the PPPoE login/password in the modem.  My firewall picks up the
IP from modem and NATs off my LAN with 10.x.x.x.

Of course I found this out after thier slick CD repeatedly crashed my
XP system (which is now turned off as normal).  If had an appendix to
read through I could've avoided some pain....