I just thought I'd post this here, as the online docs are severely lacking.

I recently upgraded my wireless network to 802.11g and spent about a day researching the best card for my laptop.

I ended up with a Netgear WG511. The docs ar http://prism54.org said their driver had a very high success rate and the card was available at the CompUSA in Nashua.

So I got the combo-kit that netgear puts out with a card and router. The router was DOA (no powerup) and the card kept giving me errors looking for firmware.

So today, I return the set and replace them with a seperate WG511 and a Linksys router. (Same price and the Linksys allows replacement antennas...). Looking again at the http://prism54.org site, I see a firmware page and check it out. It says you need to find the "firmware" and rename it and toss it in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware.

So I do that, downloading the version from the quasi-legal web page. I rename the file as it says and place it in the right place.

I figure I'll see what the exact error message is in case I need to email it out and ask for help.... and Lo! I see that I just got a DHCP address from the router! It was working perfectly.

So, for anyone looking to use 802.11g under Linux, here's one configuration that worked well for me:

Mandrake Linux 10.0 Official Download Edition.
Make sure hotplug is installed.
Make sure you have the Proism54 drivers. Mine were in /lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk/kernel/3rdparty/prism54/ and were a part of the kernel-2.6.3.7mdk-1-1mdk.rpm package.
Download http://prism54.org/~mcgrof/firmware/1.0.4.3.arm
Rename the file to isl3890 and place it wherever your hotplug settings are looking. Usually this is /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware (I had to create this directory).
Plug in your NetGear WG511.
Smile as you get a connection.

I haven't played with custom settings yet, like WPA, or WEP yet. My WiFi network is firewalled and open as a FreeNet. I'll play with WEP settings next time I head up to the office. If anyone here is interested, I'll post those results.

Brian