On Nov 10, 2004, at 19:26, Hewitt Tech wrote:

Oddly QuickBooks will happily
work with a Linux fileserver running Samba but Intuit won't support users in
that configuration. I can understand them not wanting to support Linux
proper but it puzzles me why they don't add Linux fileservers as a supported
configuration.

Samba doesn't work out-of-the-box with Quickbooks when multiple users have the database open. You have to do something like, IIRC,:

[share]
        oplocks = No
        level2 oplocks = No
        strict locking = Yes

and that means editing system files, and that means explaining vi or emacs keybindings to someone on the phone and, well, you can understand their position. It's hard for them to say, "we support Linux servers but not if you're clueless," so they just say, "we only support Windows servers." So, people with Linux servers lie and say they've got an NT4 fileserver if it comes up.

This all implies nasty OS-dependent code in Quickbooks, and who really needs hackish open-source Windows code?

I'm using SQL-Ledger myself, but I understand GNUCash is making moves in the QuickBooks direction with recent releases. I'm not particularly impressed with SQL-Ledger's ease-of-use. Anybody here using GNUCash for their SMB accounting?

-Bill
----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Cell: 603.252.2606
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Text: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AIM: wpmcgonigle                Skype: bill_mcgonigle