On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 23:56, Fred wrote:

> So, maybe some of you have had some banking experience. Is there some
> sort of obscure Federal regulation or similar that stipulates that
> financial institutions can only allow a max of 90 days of data at a time
> to the customer? And why would their be such an inane restriction,
> anyway?

I suspect that the real issue here is merely one of storage space; by
setting a fixed period for which they will make data available (last 90
days, last 3 statement periods, whatever), they can move enough
transactions out of the database to keep up with the new transactions
being added, all while keeping their online storage capacity fairly
static and predictable.

If there's one thing that bankers like, it's "static and predictable"
... especially when it comes to expense items. ;)

Years ago, before online banking existed, I was a mainframe operator for
a statewide bank in Concord. We had the same policy then for the account
history data that we made available to the tellers over the online
system - current statement period plus the last two, that's it;
everything beyond that was archived. Disk packs aren't cheap. :)

--
Bill Mullen
RLU# 270075