Mark Komarinski wrote:

Under normal circumstances, you'd be right. But the concern here is the
overhead of (s)locate building its database at the wrong time. If the
concern of waiting a few additional seconds or remembering the command line
for find outweighs your system's hard drive churning away in the middle of
a presentation, then stick with find.

The slocate database build is scheduled in my default cron (from Mandrake's default install) at 4:22 am on Sunday.
While I've had service calls then, I've never had a presentation at that hour and day. ;-)

Since it is a scheduled task, why not just schedule it outside of presentation times?
(I know that the real issue is not slocate, or such, but predictable performance.

--
Dan Jenkins ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951