I have a fundamental question on the advantages of 64-bit CPU systems for current Linux-Apache-MySQL/PostGreSQL-PHP/Perl/Python applications. Is there a price/performance advantage, and if so, where are the benefits?

Most of the work I've been doing is fairly low-traffic data-driven web sites or direct access to a database server. Do the 64-processors provide any advantages in these situations, or should I just stick with 32-bit processors? I can see where a 64-bit machine might have advantages in heavy number crunching or ray-tracing, or in other high-performance situations where the software's been tuned for it, but that's not where I'm concentrating.

Comments welcomed.

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com