On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 01:30:55 -0500
Jason Stephenson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'll second this. In fact, every Compaq that I've ever seen does this.

> It's usually the last partition on the disk, is roughly 32MB in size
and
> generally of a type not recognized by Linux fdisk or fips.
I have 2 Presario laptops, both running Linux. One was initially set up
to dual boot. Both are pure Linux now.

Most PC vendors today place a hidden partition from which you can
reinstall or repair the OS. The reason for this is that they do not have
to provide you with an installation CD.

One of the first things I did at work when I got my new desktop computer
was to set it up for dual boot Windows XP and Linux. The only reason I
used Windows was initially to work on a document using WordXP. I
subsequently installed OfficeXP on Linux and imported the custom HP
fonts. Unfortunately, the document template does not render well under
OO.

I bought the Compaq's because they were the best bang for the buck with
my discount.

WRT: Gateway. I soured on Gateway years ago. I worked on a contract for
a company that had a contract with Gateway for their PCs. Virtually
every machine from Gateway had a problem. One of my coworkers bought one
and the monitor arrived DOA. Later I worked at Microcom who was also a
Gateway customer. I took a Gateway out of the box, and found that the CD
was dead. More specifically, the secondary IDE channel. I do know some
Gateway success stories, but the failures far outweigh the success. I
have also had personal experience with Dell. A client of mine had a
Dell, and had a bad experience with customer service (before they
outsourced to India). The BLU bought a Dell server. (Actually it was
Boston User Groups). JABR had some difficulty with GENToo initially, so
we went to Fedora Core 2. religiously, JABR does not like SuSE, and
since he was doing the work...

In general, I would probably buy a Dell or HP/Compaq depending on the
price and features, although I might also buy a system with Linux
preinstalled.
--
Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Boston Linux and Unix user group