>> Can anybody provide a clue as to what the proper sequence of
>> steps might be that would result in (A) getting a Windows XP
>> (Home Edition) machine rigged to accept a connection from the
>> Linux rdesktop client
>
>Win XP Home doesn't include Remote Desktop Connection.
>That's one of the things Win XP Pro gets you.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]  I'd once heard that the difference between
NT4.0workstation and NT4.0server was three registry
entries...  and $1200.  Sounds like the same attitude
is still in play.

>Win XP Home does include "Remote Assistance", which
>works using the same protocols, but with some additional
>programmatic involvement which I haven't explored yet.
>It also requires the connection be initiated from the
>computer being controlled.
>
>Use VNC instead.

Yah, I do already have VNC installed on a number of
machines but was hoping to use rdesktop since it seemed
a bit more elegant to work *with* the remote OS (by
interposing at the GUI primitive level) rather than despite
it (repainting the screen pixel for pixel and blindly
reporting mouse/keyboard events).  I do love Microsoft.