On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:51:53AM -0400, Paul Lussier wrote:
> This seems to have been a problem for years on Linux, but I've never
> understood why.  Every now and then I encounter a system where
> shutdown, reboot, or halt doesn't.  It just spits a message back at
> you claiming the system is about to go down, but then nothing ever
> happens.  Does anyone have any idea why?  It's really agravating.

It's because at some point in your career, you've offended that
machine, and it's holding a grudge.  It simply doesn't like you.
But don't worry, it's not just you...  It doesn't like any of your
coworkers or your friends, either.  You have had that much influence
on the thing.  But it's probably not your fault at all -- some boxen
are just plain hornery, like rotweilers...  =8^)

I've come across this a few times myself, but only on Red Hat 6.x
machines, AFAIK.

-=-=-=-=-