On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 03:18:23PM -0400, Bob Bell wrote:
> Isn't this scheme somewhat similar to SPF or DomainKeys?  At least to
> the degree that it attempts to validate the domain of the sender?

Yes.  It's been a while since I looked at either, so I'm not sure
about specific similarities and differences, but the ideas are pretty
similar.  I seem to recall that SPF has some serious limitations, but
I can't recall what those might be (though I suspect searching for
"problems with spf" or "spf limitations" would turn something useful
up).  I never really looked into DomainKeys in detail, but it probably
works more or less like I described.

> How would this work with all the compromised Windows machines out
> there?  Couldn't a spammer use such a network of compromised
> machines to send out emails through Outlook, etc.?  (This appears to
> be a problem with most anti-spam approaches)

There are, of course, those viruses which send themselves to everyone
in your address book, and use your ISP's servers to send the mail.
None of these schemes (including blocking the IP addresses of dynamic
customers) do anything to solve that problem.  As such, I'll exclude
that class of compromises from the rest of the discussion.

Aside from those, AFAIK, compromised windows systems don't generally
use Outlook, they usually come with a small, basic smtp engine bundled
into the malware.  I suspect they do it because sending lots of spam
through your ISP's servers is likely to get your account terminated,
shutting down that channel for delivering spam.  Blocking mail from
these nodes might help, but probably not...  At least not for long.
As more and more ISPs block these addresses, the spammers will simply
find other attack vectors.  They always do.  These could include
setting up new, temporary open relays, attacking valid servers, etc.

Ultimately, as I've said many times before, there is no method of
fighting spam which will be truly effective.  The best you can do is
let the client deal with it by running spamassassin or similar.  The
only way to put a stop to the spam problem is to make it unprofitable
for the so-called "advertiser", by fining offenders a substantial amt.
per individual spam message, and jail time for people who facilitate
spam.  But GW made sure that'll never happen with the bogus anti-spam
bill...

-=-=-=-=-