On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 11:43:30PM -0400, David Ecklein wrote:
> Derek-
>
> I would not be particularly interested in running Linspire on high end
> systems, but there may be some who are.  You are among that group, perhaps,
> and the Lynch review methodology may be appropriate.  But if you have a
> high-end system, you might aspire beyond Linspire, don't you think?

In case this hasn't been made perfectly clear, I think the question
you're asking is a reasonable and interesting one...  All I'm saying
is it's equally reasonable that a review wouldn't try to answer it.

I think I can also take an educated guess and answer your question.
Linspire 5.0 is a desktop-oriented distribution, and as such it would
perform lousy on old hardware.  GNOME needs lots of memeory, and a
200MHz Pentium system just won't have enough.  You won't have enough
CPU power to say, listen to MP3s in the background while you are
running much of anything else.  You might be able to tweak it to run
OK for just e-mail and web, by running a basic window manager like
xfce or fvwm (the latter of which which you'll almost certainly need
to download and install yourself), but it's not intended to be run on
such configurations, and required tweaking totally misses the point of
Linspire, which is ease of use.

-=-=-=-=-