On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 12:47 -0400, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> Thanks, that's just what I don't want to do. I really do want to reject
> the mail before reception is complete. After I get it then they know I got
> it and I have to take the rouble to report it to spamcop.

This is rather difficult to do because it requires the MTA to start the
filtering *before* reception is complete, which means the filtering
process has to be able to complete processing before or by the end of
reception.

The only mechanism I know that is capable of this are rather complicated
firewall rules that looks for and monitors connections to port 25. These
tend to chew up a lot of resources on the firewall machine - especially
during a spam storm.

Most people just punt and use the RBL lists (I do). They have problems,
but they do stop *a lot* of useless traffic. (Note that I use
list.dsbl.org, sbl.spamhaus.org, dnsbl.njabl.org, bl.spamcop.net, and
cbl.abuseat.org, and NOT sorbs!

--Bruce