On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 23:52 -0400, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On Apr 29, 2005, at 10:48, Derek Martin wrote:
>
> > This is an excellent idea for a feature request.  A slave should have
> > the ability to contact a master and ask what zones it should slave, so
> > that a minimal config can be installed without requiring any
> > maintenance...
>
> That's a great idea.  The list of slaveable zones could automatically
> be generated by the server, in the case of bind, from 'allow-transfer'
> lines.  It would save considerable config time and improve
> interoperability (imagine the horrors of getting an rsync script
> working with a Microsoft DNS server).  Done over DNSSEC it should be
> secure enough.  A lame-o approach might even create a magic zone file
> that would be parsable on the other side as containing the list of
> slaveable zones <ducks>.

> Of course you want this very optional in the case where you don't
> control the master.
>
> Make it so.

Thanks for all the comments. It appears that Bind9 can also set to cache
zone lookups, which is not a perfect solution, but would be relatively
easy to set up for short term. That way I can get it going, at least,
until I have more time to do a "more proper" rsync/script solution.

You'd think that after all this time Bind would already have a wildcard
zone slave feature. I can't be the only one with this need.

I'll keep you posted on what I discover, since this would be useful
knowledge.

Of course, don't stop the flow of ideas. 8-)

-Fred