Fred <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am suspicious that they are somehow breaking in through ssh --

  http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/10/technology/10cisco.html

  Internet Attack Called Broad and Long Lasting by Investigators
  By JOHN MARKOFF and LOWELL BERGMAN

  Published: May 10, 2005

  [....]
  The crucial element in the password thefts that provided access
  at Cisco and elsewhere was the intruder's use of a corrupted version
  of a standard software program, SSH. The program is used in many
  computer research centers for a variety of tasks, ranging from
  administration of remote computers to data transfer over the Internet.
  [...]

Comment: I designed and implemented a network protocol in one of my
past jobs.  I found it useful to provide my SQA folks with a
bastardized version of the protocol stack, one that allowed them to
basically do everything possible to try to deceive/overrun a valid
protocol endpoint.  I slept well at night knowing that the SQA staff
had the tools to try to crash/overrun a protocol endpoint, but they
never could find a way to do it.  Developing tools to test your own
code is a part of doing a job.

--kevin
--
GnuPG ID: B280F24E                     And the madness of the crowd
alumni.unh.edu!kdc                     Is an epileptic fit