[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  (1) Always double check your crypto.
>  (2) Never use Perl BigInt's for anything ever... especially crypto.
>  (3) When in doubt, use LISP.

I believe that your Perl code is buggy.  Why are you using ord()?  Do
you understand that when you read from /dev/u?random you're getting a
raw integer value?

I have attached an updated string2dec.pl program.

Generally, when I am writing code and I encounter a strange result, my
first inclination is to assume that perhaps I did something wrong.
But you seem to be different than me.

Regards,

--kevin
--
GnuPG ID: B280F24E                     And the madness of the crowd
alumni.unh.edu!kdc                     Is an epileptic fit

#!/usr/bin/perl

# read MSB-first 8-bit bytes from STDIN and print its value as a decimal integer
use bignum;

while (read STDIN,$byte,1) {
        $val = $val * 256;
        $val += unpack("C", $byte);