"Peter" writes:

> I hope that I am posting this in the right place. If not, please forgive
> me.
> I am new to Linux, and by new I mean that I have yet to install it, but
> that will be happening shortly. Anyway, I was hoping to get suggestions
> on partition sizes. I have a 200GB HD. This system will be small, maybe
> three or four home users, and may or may not be used as an web server
> (assume that it will be, I suppose). Your thoughts? Is there additional
> information you need? Off-list responses or questions are OK. Thank you.

/var -- at least 500MB, and since you have so much disk space, 1GB
might not be a bad idea.  Typically system logfiles, web-server
content, ftp server content, and packages (rpms, etc) use this area.
You always want a seperate /var filesystem so that some big logfile
doesn't suck up all available space.

/boot -- 500MB, or more if you plan on playing around with a lot of
custom kernels

swap -- an old adage was "two times your RAM", but the
popularity of this adage has waned a little now that systems have so
much RAM.  Still, if you run applications that need a LOT of memory,
allocating something that approximates this adage might not be a bad
idea

/ -- lots of system files go here.  Maybe 2-6GB?  It really depends on
how much stuff you want to install on your machine

/home -- lots of space for your user files.  You definitely want a
seperate /home partition, possibly taking up the rest of your drive
space.

unallocated partition -- you might want to consider leaving some space
unallocated so that you can try out other distros.

I have tried to give some general guidlines here, but this subject is
somewhat of a religious topic.  I'm sure that other people will have
other opinions.

Regards,

--kevin
--
Kevin's new Elephant Memory Systems Tribute Page:
    http://home.comcast.net/~kevin_d_clark/ems/