On Monday 18 July 2005 08:39 pm, Jim Kuzdrall wrote:

>     I can boot in from the floppy described below.  If I boot choice
> 2 from the first scsi (my normal boot), it hangs after mounting
> /proc.  I can see from the screen dump that it is loading Linux 2.4
> modules from sda2, which won't work with 2.6.

    After many experiments:

        GRUB boots sdb (hd2) if GRUB is installed on any drive except
sda (hd1).  That is, it works on floppy, CDROM, ide drive hda (hd0).

    It must be some confusion between what GRUB expects and the BIOS
drive ordering on the MSI K7D Master board.

    If anyone has problems with GRUB, the most helpful resource I found
was "Linux in a Nutshell, 4th Ed", page 510, "Installing GRUB".  Make
the installation floppies as they suggest.  Two types of floppies are
suggested: 1) boots to GRUB command line interface; 2) boots to a
regular GRUB selection menu.

    Use type 1 to GRUB in the MBR.  I always had stage1, stage2, and
grub.conf (also called menu.lst) in /boot/grub on the partition I
wanted to boot.  Perhaps the floppy will do that too; don't know.

Jim