Knoppix 4.0 DVD! Yipee! Please send along the URL of the torrent, and I'll tell you if I am seeing similar slowness.

One Q: do you have ports 6881-6889 forwarded to the machine trying the download? I had heard rumors that more modern bittorrent clients were throttling download rates for one-way, download-only clients, but cannot confirm such.