On Jul 22 at 5:14pm, Bill Freeman wrote:
        What rates do other folks see?

I've seen over 400 kBps (kilobytes per second) incoming on BitTorrent with my Comcast feed. This is going through a LinkSys WRT54G router with ports forwarded. I've limited my BT upload rate to 26 kBps; I seem to do best with that number. YMMV.

Fastest I've ever seen on this feed, period, is just over 500 kBps from an idle FTP server with a fast pipe. Mmmmmm. :)

  FYI:

BitTorrent works by having a central "tracker" manage the torrent distribution. As each client successfully downloads a piece of the torrent, it becomes a potential server for same. The more pieces your own client serves up, the more peers the tracker gives you to download from. The BT docs call this "tit-for-tat". It keeps leaches from killing the system.

If you don't have much of the torrent downloaded yet, your download rate will be low. It will climb as you download more pieces and can thus upload more pieces. Give it time.

If peers are having trouble connecting to you for their downloads (say, because of a firewall or NAT), your download rate will be low.

If your pipe is asymmetric (i.e., most cable and DSL feeds), your download rate will be lower then it could be with a symmetric pipe, but still do pretty well.

If you saturate your outgoing channel, you can actually reduce your incoming rate. So it's best to limit your upload rate to something like 90% of your theoretical maximum. *handwave*

Finally, an overloaded tracker will kill everyone's download rates, and a poorly seeded torrent (few peers with the entire torrent available) will do likewise, so sometimes it is out of your control.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert on BitTorrent, but I've read a FAQ or two, and can parrot them well. :-)

--
Ben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>