I've found over the years that you really don't want to depend solely on a
PC for your day-to-day scheduling stuff.  An outboard, dedicated unit is
more reliable and easier to manage in the end.  Then, you tie in your PC for
the one-off control stuff, remote access, etc.

I'm using a JDS Stargate (http://www.jdstechnologies.com) with some LCD
Keypads and their IR Commander as the basis of my system.  It can communiate
with other devices and/or a PC via one of the on-board serial ports.  It has
A/D converters, relays, and audio control all on board.  To add all of this
to a PC gets to be just about as pricey as the Stargate system, and way more
(IMO) kludgy and awkward over time.

For audio distribution I'm using a Russound PR4Z with AP-48 amp.  Russound,
Kustom, and Xantech all make decent whole-house audio setups.  They all can
be controlled via IR and/or serial ports.

If you don't want to drop a bundle of cash on a decent controller at first,
you can start out with something like the Applied Digital Ocelot
(http://www.appdig.com/adicon_new/ocelot.htm).  When I ran my HA business we
used to sell these by the boat load.  I'm pretty sure I still have one
around that I'll give you as a homewarming gift if you want it.  I *might*
also have some of the I/O modules... somewhere.

X-10, the protocol, not the brand, is still a very decent cost-effective way
to go about this.  I've been using X-10 in 3 houses now for almost 10 years
with no major issues, once I got past some (minor) initial debugging.

If there is interest I could host a meeting at my place (Amherst) to talk
about Home Automation and linux, and some basic integration ideas and
concepts.