One of the disks on my system has developed a bad spot after the start of the second partition and of course will not mount. The filesystem is an ext3 with journal enabled. I've tried 'mount -r -t ext3 -o debug,noload,errors=continue /dev/sda2 /mnt' and with sb=8193 but the partition refuses to mount. The error message is a generic error:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda2,
      missing codepage or other error
      dmesg | tail  or so
and dmesg states: ext3: No journal on filesystem on sda2

I've tried various sb numbers which were 8192 x n +1, without success. Any other ideas of how to mount the partition or copied the readable data? By using 'dd' the bad spot looks small area. The driver gives the following errors in dmesg - DriveReady SeekComplete Error UncorrectableError - during the 'dd'. There are no driver errors during the mount. The kernel is 2.6.12.2.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, ideas, or thoughts.
-pete