Bill McGonigle wrote:

On Aug 18, 2005, at 13:13, Brian Chabot wrote:

Uhh... Is the "anything" a literal here? I have nothing before the @hostname line.

Yeah, here's the relevant bit:

#        Support for a virtual alias domain looks like:

We must be looking at different (and contradicting) docs.

I get:
-----From-/usr/share/doc/postfix-2.1.5/README_FILES/VIRTUAL_README-----
With virtual alias domains, each hosted address is aliased to a local UNIX
system account or to a remote address. The example below shows how to use this
mechanism for the example.com domain.

    1 /etc/postfix/main.cf:
    2     virtual_alias_domains = example.com ...other hosted domains...
    3     virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
    4
    5 /etc/postfix/virtual:
    6     [EMAIL PROTECTED] postmaster
    7     [EMAIL PROTECTED]       joe
    8     [EMAIL PROTECTED]      jane
    9     # Uncomment entry below to implement a catch-all address
   10     # @example.com         jim
   11     ...virtual aliases for more domains...
 * Line 10: the commented out entry (text after #) shows how one would
   implement a catch-all virtual alias that receives mail for every
   example.com address not listed in the virtual alias file. This is not
   without risk. Spammers nowadays try to send mail from (or mail to) every
   possible name that they can think of. A catch-all mailbox is likely to
   receive many spam messages, and many bounces for spam messages that were
   sent in the name of [EMAIL PROTECTED]

*shrug* let's see...

Here goes with the new lines:
host.domain.com    anything
@host.domain.com    username

...nope.
"Relay access denied"

...and
host.domain.com    anything
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    username

...nope.
"Relay access denied"

...and
host.domain.com    anything
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

..nope.
"Relay access denied"

...and just:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

..nope.
"Relay access denied"

I'm beginning to think it's not in the virtual.db file.

Brian