Bill McGonigle wrote:

> It's a social problem, not a technical one.  Many mail system admins
> refuse mail from servers on a dynamic IP because lots of spam zombies
> exist in those locations.  You know who to thank for that.
>
> Our friends at DynDNS have some services to help:
>   http://www.dyndns.com/services/mailhop/
>
> But my cable modem isn't reliable enough for me to count on it for the
> business (only ~99.5%) so I got a root server at 1&1 for $50/mo and
> it's always up, even when Cogent and Level 3 are having a chicken
> fight.  At least I can get in over Verizon Wireless when the cable
> modem is down.  Did I mention IMAP is great?

Mailhop BackupMX.

"Make sure you always get your mail, even if your server is offline for
extended periods, with our MailHop Backup MX service. We'll queue your
mail for up to 10 days, with no limits on how much you receive."

$30 a year.

(Disclaimer: I work for DynDNS.)

Just make sure you use content based spam filtering and not just at the
connect string if you use this service.   Many spammers will send to the
secondary MX first and you'll see the connection come from a trusted
source even though the email is spam.  (I work in the abuse dept. and
see lots of people report their own backup MX server as a spam source
because of this...)

Brian