I figgered I was hardly the first one.    :)

Seriously, it does make me feel better.  The first thing I did was move sshd
off of port 22.  So that much is evidently a Good Thing Everywhere.  Thanks!

I can't restrict IP addresses.  My need is precisely that I myself, as well
as my co-developers, need to get at my Subversion repositories from out on
client site (or from Panera, heh :) so the incoming IP address has to remain
flexible.

Bill M's tip about DenyHosts looks like a good addition.  I was thinking of
writing a Python program to look for N failed logins and then adding the IP
address to /etc/hosts.deny...   wait, that violates the First Rule of Free
Software:  "First you Google for someone else who has already written it."  !!

I'll check into DenyHosts.  And each of the other tips.  Thank you all.
And perhaps because of this list someone else will be saved the whole hassle.

-Bill

[Do I need to say, Thank goodness I'm running Linux?  The damage was just a
log filled up.  Years ago in a former life, I used to run a monoculture OS.
If this had been then...]   **shudder**